12 Nov 2011

Ever worried about kids future?

I, like many parents, have worried, grumbled and complained about my kids education, the system and their reaction to it. I have also ranted on about how we pigeonhole them and, for those that don't fit, give them some label to excuse their 'disability'. I have long advocated looking for their skill and talent and labeling them with their 'ability' which may not always fit in with the school curriculum - it could be a great memory, compassion or acute sense of smell.
I remember a TV programme some years ago in which Tony Buzan took on a class of 'unmanageable' young teenagers (huge respect for the brave headmistress of the School in Slough for taking this risk) and 'found' their talents, mainly just by asking them. This is a huge waste of our most valuable resource.
I have just watched a lecture by Sir Ken Robinson on the same subject Schools kill creativity.
Get a cup of coffee, make yourself comfortable and take half an hour - it could change the way we think.

No comments:

Post a Comment